The Regional Platform is a multi-stakeholder meeting organized by UNISDR and hosted by Member States, serving as a forum to bring together key actors from different sectors and levels working on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
The 5th Session of the Regional Platform for DRR in the Americas will be hosted by the Government of Canada and will be held in Montreal from March 7th to 9th, 2017. As the first regional meeting after the adoption of the Sendai Framework for DRR, the Platform will follow up on the implementation of the policy in the Americas.
The Huairou Commission will bring 4 representatives of the Community Practitioners Platform from the LAC region. They will promote grassroots women leadership in the localization of the Sendai Framework, looking to position themselves as equal partners and local experts in disaster risk reduction and resilience building. Two of the practitioners will be part of High Level Panels:
- Diocelinda Iza (Movimiento de Mujeres Luna Creciente/OMICSE) in Session 2 on Indigenous Peoples and DRR, hosted by the Ministry of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada and co-hosted by the Government of Mexico
- Relinda Sosa (GROOTS Peru / CONAMOVIDI) in Session 4 on Gender Equality to Empower Women and Girls in Disaster Risk Management, hosted by Ministry of Global Affairs Canada and co-hosted by Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM).
The Community Practitioners Platform will also present its Resilience Practice Guides publication at the Ignite Stage, for a wide audience.
Full Huairou delegation:
- Haydee Rodriguez (Unión de Cooperativas de Mujeres Las Brumas, Nicaragua)
- Josefina Miculax (Fundación Guatemala, Guatemala)
- Diocelinda Iza (Movimiento de Mujeres Luna Creciente/OMICSE, Ecuador)
- Relinda Sosa (GROOTS Peru / CONAMOVIDI, Peru)
- Tatiana Fazio (Huairou Commission Staff)
- Manuela Pinilla (Huairou Commission Staff)
More information available at: http://www.eird.org/rp17/